Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Fabulous Uptown!

Back to regular programming: More subway images! ;) This is a collection of my trips on Friday and Monday... I'll start with Monday's images: I made my way slowly up the C line...



As I said: It was Monday... Interesting mix of modern LED interfaces and run down ceiling paint... Love the texture!



Rust at 155 St.



More rust...



I guess advertising isn't selling too well uptown these days...



More ceiling texture...



I'm always really happy when I happen on those weird combos... In this case: Grates, station ID and a weird ad that works smoothly in the square format!



Only the 3 left, 1 & 6 gone...



Bench & station decal setup... Love the shadows on the ceiling...



Regards from Wall-E!



Serene corridor into the light!



No ads here either.



Quarter mirror...



Outside of 168 St station (A, C, 1 lines): Green globe in front of New York Presbyterian Hospital...



Another building of same hospital...



Other exit, same hospital...



Variation of above...



Fabulous part of 168 St station (1 line): Only accessible by elevator... Didn't want to check it out at first as I do not like the elevator setup in subways that much... Glad I did though!



Newer part of the 1 line platforms... Definitely brighter than the older parts...



Newer style wall decal and design...



This felt like stepping out of a time machine...



Detail of above...



Flower detail...



Another flower detail...



Row of globes used in the older part of the station... Combined with newer light mounted a little higher up... Must have been really dark before that!



View from the bridge from one track to another... Lighting was super contrasty...



This seems to be my most challenging shot... 127 St entrance of 125 St station (A, B, C, D lines)...
This is good, but the shot in my head is still better... The ideal image would be a little earlier in the day with a more detailed sky! I will keep trying!!!



These shots are all from last Friday... At same location as above... Maybe former store location?



59 St - Columbus Circle station (A, B, C, D, 1 lines), Central Park West entrance... Love that lantern!



Same station different entrance... Trump hotel...



Globes, same station different exit...



Old style meets new style architecture...

5 comments:

  1. gritty, raw, and brave because I will NEVER venture into the subway stops where you can only access via the slow , dim death elevator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous: Thank you very much!
    @Estela: Thank you! That weren't quite the thoughts I had, but for some reasons I feel better when I can leave the stations at will and am not tied to limited exit routes... I'm at least glad that I was able to show the places to you this way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mostly i like the picture where the advertising is missing and the idea that the name of a street is just a number

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anonymous: Thank you for your feedback!

    ReplyDelete